Soy sauce is sorely missed in my home. I’m low amine, so shouldn’t use it, and my roommate is soy-free. Between the two of us, we miss Asian cooking something wicked. With a lot of recipe combining and a lot of substitutions, I was able to come up with this gluten-free, soy-free, low-amine, dairy-free, nut-free, low-fat, nightshade-free, tomato-free soy sauce substitute.
It will keep in the fridge for about a week in a tightly closed Tupperware or jar. This low amine soy sauce substitute can also be frozen in ice cube trays for later use, though I found that freezing tended to dull the flavors a bit – more garlic, ginger, and white pepper should be added if you’re planning on freezing the soy sauce. Also, the soy sauce substitute was stubborn and would not freeze completely though, so it is best left in the cube tray, or freezing in small jars or tupperwares that can be thawed all at once.
Update: Tried using this with my baby bok choy recipe and no one at the table could tell it was a soy sauce substitute, including myself.
1 1/2 C blueberry juice, reduced over high heat to 1 C
3 C organic beef broth or chicken broth
2 T molasses
2 tsp ascorbic acid
2 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 T salt
2 T vodka
- Reduce blueberry juice.
- Combine all ingredients except vodka in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until reduced to a 1 1/2 to 1 cup of soy sauce substitute is left (about 25 minutes).
- Add vodka.
- Keeps for up to a week in the fridge.
- Shake before using.
- Braised Octopus and Choy Sum (aminerecipes.com)
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-amine, Gluten-free Chinese Scallion Pancakes with Dipping Sauce (aminerecipes.com)
- Teriyaki Chicken (aminerecipes.com)
- Carrot Ginger Dressing (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Quick Get-Well Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, nightshade-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Pea Shoots (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-Amine Teriyaki Tofu Cabbage Wraps (aminerecipes.com)
- Balsamic Blackened Cod (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)