I’m not huge on baked beans on their own as a side dish, but they are an integral part of one of my all-time favorite comfort foods: Hot and Sour Beans. But for those baked bean lovers out there… This low-amine, vegan baked bean recipe is for you.
1 lb dried navy beans
1 large onion, chopped
1 carrot, minced
1 tsp celery seed
12 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 C molasses
2 Tbsp soy sauce substitute
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp cornstarch (mixed in with 1 Tbsp cold water)
- Pick any pebbles, debris, and icky beans out and discard.
- Rinse beans and cover in water. Soak using one of two methods:
- Soak overnight (8+ hours) in the refrigerator.
- Bring to a boil and cook for five minutes. Turn off heat. Skim foam off the top and cover beans. Let stand for an hour.
- Ensure you have enough water in the pot, and bring pot to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook beans, covered for 30 minutes. Beans should be fairly cooked through at this point (test your beans, as older beans take longer to cook).
- Drain beans, but reserve cooking liquids.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer beans to a large casserole dish or Pyrex pan.
- Add all ingredients in with beans and stir. Make sure that when you add the cornstarch, you stir right away so that it does not clump.
- Pour back enough water to cover the beans by a quarter to half inch.
- Cover beans and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for 3 hours, stir, and continue cooking for another 3 hours.
- Beans are done when tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Low Amine: brown sugar, molasses
Very High Amine: dry mustard powder
- Baked Potato Chips (gluten-free, low-amine, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked French Fries (low-amine, gluten-free, vegan, healthy) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tomato-Free Ketchup (No Tomato, Low-Amine, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine Chicken Strips (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Cream Cheese and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Turkey Meatballs (gluten-free, soy-free, low-amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- BBQ Sauce (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Breakfast: Poached Eggs over Sauteed Veggies (low-amine, vegetarian, gluten-free, soy-free, low-carb) (aminerecipes.com)