Low-Amine Warm Brown Rice Salad makes a great vegetarian entrée, or a side dish. It blends sweet and savory with a bit of a tart edge that keeps your mouth interested. The chestnuts and low-amine squash give it an earthy flavor that help ground the dish.
Yield: 6-8 servings
1 acorn squash
1 medium red onion
4 Tbsp safflower oil, divided (3,1)
2/3 jar chestnuts (about 6-8 chestnuts)
2 C cooked brown rice
1 tsp ascorbic acid
6 Tbsp balsamic vinegar substitute, divided
1 1/2 C pomegranate seeds (in the above photo I used strawberry because three separate stores didn’t carry pomegranates. Sad! Strawberries worked well, flavor-wise, but added a lot of amines)
1 C watercress, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds (save for roasting later, if desired). Roast squash at 400 degrees, cut-side down, in a pan with a half inch water, until just tender. Alternately, you can also cut a slice in the squash with a knife (so that steam can escape), and microwave it for about 8 minutes. Cut in half, seed, and you’re done.
- Cook brown rice using instructions on the bag.
- Once cooled enough to handle, peel squash and cut squash flesh into small cubes (1/2″ x 1/2″).
- Dice red onion and saute with 1 Tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt until they start to sweat and turn translucent.
- Chop chestnuts.
- Add squash, chestnuts, 3 Tbsp safflower oil, and red onion to a Pyrex pan. Gently mix well, and roast them at 400 degrees (middle rack) for 20 minutes.
- When the roasting is almost done, mix 2 C warm rice with 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar substitute.
- Toss roasted ingredients, pomegranate seeds, and watercress with the rice.
- Drizzle remaining 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar substitute over the top and serve, garnished with watercress or parsley.
Very Low Amine: acorn squash, red onion, brown rice, ascorbic acid, pomegranate, watercress, salt
Low Amine: safflower oil, balsamic vinegar substitute (high in Histamines due to blueberry juice)
High Amine: chestnuts
Very High Amine: strawberries (only use if necessary – pomegranates are better)
- Shaved Fennel and Celery Root (Celeriac) Salad (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, vegan, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Carrot Ginger Dressing (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Balsamic Blackened Cod (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Chocolate Mousse with Pomegranate (tofu & carob, gluten-free, chocolate-free, low-fat) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tamarind Apricot Chicken (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, tomato-free, paleo, low-fat, low-carb) (aminerecipes.com)
- Ras El Hanout Spaghetti Squash (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)