These thick onion slices make a fabulous side dish for any low amine meal. I used to make these with lemon juice and olive oil, so hadn’t made them since starting my amine-free diet. I decided to use a lemon substitute instead, and it worked out fabulously! These low amine onions were a powerhouse of flavor, and so stupid easy that I could make them every day.
1 large red onion
2 large yellow onion
2 Tbsp Safflower oil
2 Tbsp ascorbic acid
4 Tbsp water
Fresh cracked black pepper
Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel both onions and cut top and bottom ends off.
- Slice each onion into three or four big onion ring slabs (about 3/4″ thick) and set on cookie sheet to bake.
- Using the point of a paring knife, “carve” two small dents into each onion, about the diameter of a dime. These pools will help hold the sour liquid so it does not simply run off onto the pan.
- Mix ascorbic acid and water together. It should mostly dissolve. Pour over the top of onions.
- Drizzle Safflower oil over the onion rings.
- Crack pepper and salt over onion rings.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for another 5 minutes to lightly blacken them on top at the edges, to give them a “grilled” look.
Very Low Amine: red onion, yellow onion, ascorbic acid, water, black pepper, salt
Low Amine: safflower oil
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Fish Patties (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Braised Octopus and Choy Sum (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Fennel Leek Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo, vegetarian, vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Pumpkin Apple Dressing (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-amine, Gluten-free Chinese Scallion Pancakes with Dipping Sauce (aminerecipes.com)
- Lemon-Thyme Delicatta Squash (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, low-fat, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Marinated Tofu Ties with Ginger Balsamic Sauce (low-amine, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, fish-free, low-fat, low-carb) (aminerecipes.com)