Making gluten free or amine free / low amine pasta dishes can be difficult. This low amine solution is sure to please all with its rich, yet light flavors. I would suggest serving it with a protein of some sort, such as butter-sauteed prawns or fried/baked tofu.
1 medium sized spaghetti squash
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
4 Tbsp safflower oil
1 C fresh basil leaves, fairly well packed
6 large cloves garlic, slivered
1/2 C low amine pesto
Pinch of sea salt & pepper
1/2 C water
Garnish of minced, fresh parsley
- Poke a couple holes in your spaghetti squash. I hit mine twice with the cleaver to put a 2″ slash in it for steam to escape.
- Microwave squash on high for 10 minutes, rotating once when halfway done. Microwave times vary – it is done when the sides of the spaghetti squash easily cave in with a gentle press of a finger. Remove carefully using oven mitts, and cut in half to cool.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise, then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Heat your stove top to medium low and in a non-stick pan, fry the zucchini in 2 Tbsp oil, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir/flip zucchini as necessary.
- While the zucchini is cooking, use a fork to remove seeds from squash. Toss, or roast them later for a snack.
- Pull spaghetti squash flesh out with a fork. It should “shred” out easily.
- Wash basil leaves and slice them into slivers about 1/2 – 1″ long.
- At about the 15 minute mark on the zucchini, add in the basil, salt, onion, and pepper. Mix in well and stir occasionally.
- In a separate non-stick pan/wok, on medium high heat, add 2 Tbsp oil. When the pan is hot, add garlic and cook till just fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add spaghetti squash to pan and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix low amine pesto to spaghetti squash with 1/2 C water. Gently stir together until evenly coated.
- Plate with zucchini served over the top of the pesto spaghetti squash and garnish with minced parsley.
- Serve with a lime wedge on the side, or with the juice of one wedge squeezed evenly over the top.
Low Amine: squash, zucchini, onion, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley
Low Amine: safflower oil
Very High Amine: lime
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)