Mayonnaise is tricky because not only does it have combinations of lemon, vinegar, wine, and chemicals in it, it also has been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long, quietly developing amines. On a low amine diet, mass-produced mayonnaise is definitely out. That doesn’t mean you can’t make a low amine mayonnaise yourself though. Low amine mayonnaise is very easy to make and takes relatively few ingredients. It will keep in your fridge for up to one week.
Yield: 1 1/4 C low amine mayonnaise
1 egg yolk (beware salmonella, food poisoning, etc.)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
3/4 tsp ascorbic acid (just short of 3/4 tsp)
1 cup safflower oil or corn oil
- In a ramekin, mix ascorbic acid and water together. Stir until dissolved.
- Add dry ingredients and egg yolk together in a glass bowl. Whisk together.
- Whisk half the water/ascorbic mix in with the egg yolk mixture.
- Start vigorously whisking and add half of the oil in just a few drops at a time. Whisk briskly and keep adding oil. You’ll notice the liquid start to thicken up, then thin out again.
- Once your mixture has thickened and thinned again, add the rest of the water/ascorbic mix.
- Continue whisking (a little less briskly) and add the rest of the oil in a thin, consistent stream until it’s all mixed in.
- Leave on the counter for one or two hours, then refrigerate.
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Carrot Ginger Dressing (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Pumpkin Apple Dressing (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-amine, Gluten-free Chinese Scallion Pancakes with Dipping Sauce (aminerecipes.com)
- Fish Patties (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Balsamic Blackened Cod (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked Breaded Rosemary Lemon Chicken (aminerecipes.com)
- Fennel Leek Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo, vegetarian, vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Pickles, pickles, pickles, and all Low-Amine (aminerecipes.com)