Jalapeno mint jelly is simple, easy, and delicious, and is a nice accompaniment to tart or bitter flavors. The sweet and spicy of the mild jelly create a nice balance.
1 stick “agar agar” (or you can use pectin – see other pectin jelly recipes for amounts)
5 C water
6 Tbsp sugar
2 C mint, packed
- Wash mint and jalapenos.
- Cut and seed jalapenos (or if you like spice, leave seeds in). Chop into small pieces.
- Boil water and add mint and jalapenos. Reduce temperature to medium high.
- Cook until liquid has reduced by half.
- Strain out solids and add liquid back to pot.
- Add agar stick and cook for 15 minutes. It should be completely dissolved.
- Add sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour into desired glass container.
- For faster cooling, put in fridge, or surround in a larger bowl with and ice and water bath.
- Scoop out and slice while plated when served with dishes, such as Lime Basil Chicken.
Very Low Amine: agar, mint
Low Amine: sugar
Very High Amine: jalapeno