I had a random craving that led me down a path of interesting Filipino recipes. I ended on a recipe for Sinigang that looked delicious, but wasn’t very low amine, so decided to tweak it for my own needs. It turned out quite well, thanks to the help of a certain favorite Filipino friend of mine. I have yet to get his verdict on how it came out insofar as authenticity (I have some set aside for him), but it tasted very good!
12 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 lb skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/2 lb cod fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 C river spinach (kangkong), chopped into 1″ segments (substitute with bok choy for low amine)
1 C Chinese green beans (the long, long, long green beans), chopped into 1″ segments
1 C taro root, about 2 pieces (gabi), peeled and chopped
3 T tamarind paste (sampalok)
6 cups water
1 Tbsp freshly grated horseradish
2 Tbsp safflower oil
2 Tbsp minced Thai bird chilies
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot, heat oil to medium high.
- Add garlic, onion, and chicken. Stir often and cook till chicken has started browning, or about 5 minutes.
- Add water, taro, horseradish, and tamarind, and Chinese green beans (If using regular green beans instead, omit them at this step and add them when putting in river spinach). Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add river spinach (kangkong). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cod fillet pieces, and cook for 3 minutes (5 minutes if fish pieces are frozen).
- Taste, and add tamarind or lime as necessary for tartness.
- Serve hot.
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Tamarind Apricot Chicken (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, tomato-free, paleo, low-fat, low-carb) (aminerecipes.com)
- Garlic Green Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, paleo, tomato-free, low-fat, low-carb, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Quick Get-Well Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, nightshade-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Fennel Leek Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo, vegetarian, vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)