This hearty, low-amine dish can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is relatively simple to make, and is a nice savory break from more sweet pastries. Originally, this recipe was a high amine bacon onion tart, but I’ve made some changes to make it a low amine pastry and some alterations to the flavor palate.
1/2 lb ground lamb (I used a full pound in mine, but would suggest a half pound in the future)
3 T butter
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 bunch thin asparagus (top 2-3″ of asparagus tips only), or about 1 C (reserve midsections for stir fry or other dish, and ends can be saved for making broth)
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp minced parsley
1 ½ cups flour (or gluten-free flour, but expect it to take a bit longer to cook, and it will not rise much)
2 tsp dry mustard
1 ¼ cups milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook ground lamb in a large pan over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Once it is nearly cooked through, remove from heat.
- While ground lamb is cooking, whisk together dry mustard, flour, and pepper.
- Add milk and eggs to flour and stir till smooth. Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain lamb fat into large Pyrex pan. Add 2 Tbsp canola oil. Put Pyrex pan in the oven.
- In the pan the lamb was cooked in, add butter, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat and cook till starting to caramelize. Add garlic, parsley, and asparagus tips. Cook until onions are caramelized to a light/medium brown.
- Remove baking dish from oven, pour in batter, and sprinkle with lamb, caramelized onions, and asparagus tips.
- Return pan to oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Very Low Amine: onion, asparagus, garlic, parsley, flour, milk, salt, pepper
Low Amine: lamb, butter, canola oil, milk
Moderate Amine: egg
Very High Amine: dry mustard
- Low Amine Garlic Spear and Asparagus Tartine (aminerecipes.wordpress.com)
- Celery Root & Potato Au Gratin (aminerecipes.com)
- Garlic Dill Asparagus (aminerecipes.com)
- Garlic white pepper Brussels sprouts
- Garlic shallot scallops
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Quick Get-Well Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, nightshade-free) (aminerecipes.com)