For my low amine Cajun Thanksgiving feast, I made low amine Cajun black beans. They’re fairly simple, and I was able to make them the night before, just leaving the final cooking step till Thanksgiving day. It was a nice high-protein addition to what is normally a very carb-heavy meal.
2 C dried black beans
6 C water
½ bag frozen sweet corn
1 green chili, de-seeded and minced
3 Tbsp garlic powder
2 medium onions diced
1/2 C cilantro, minced
1 Tbsp safflower oil
3 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp vegetable boullion
- Sort through beans and remove any debris and bad beans.
- Add beans, water, half the onion, vegetable bouillon, oil, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and chilies. Cook for about three hours over medium heat, or until beans are done.
- Reduce heat to low. Remove about 1 C cooked black beans and mash into a paste. Add back into the pot. Mix well and cook down until the liquid is fairly reduced (it should end up like a thick soup or wet porridge). Be careful to stir often and keep temperature low so that the beans don’t burn.
- Add corn, the rest of the onion, and cilantro. Turn up heat to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Keep Cajun black beans warm in the pot until serving.
- Garnish with thinly sliced cilantro leaves, if serving plated (rather than at the table).
- Low Carb Mashed Potatoes (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Black Beans (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Seasoning Mix (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Roasted Turkey (aminerecipes.com)
- Hot & Sour Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Garlic Green Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, paleo, tomato-free, low-fat, low-carb, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tennessee White Chili (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-Amine Teriyaki Tofu Cabbage Wraps (aminerecipes.com)