I make exceptions with my amine allergies here and there. Ketchup is one of those things. I know I ought to not use ketchup because of the tomatoes (and because it’s probably been sitting on a shelf forever, building amines), but I love it so much. I figure it’s high time I make myself a low-amine substitute ketchup. This no-tomato ketchup is gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, and low-amine. Enjoy this tomato-free ketchup recipe!
Also, I’m happy to report that I had a batch of my no-tomato ketchup frozen for a couple weeks. I just thawed it, and it thawed PERFECTLY. You can make it in large batches and freeze it in week-sized portions!
1 C fresh cranberries
1 large pears (or mild apples), peeled and cored (about 1 C)
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 C)
1 C water
1 tsp ascorbic acid
1/4 C sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
- On medium low heat, cook all ingredients together, covered, in a small pot for about 15 minutes.
- Once all the no-tomato ketchup ingredients are well softened, remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the tomato-free ketchup ingredients together. Process until very smooth.
- Store in your fridge, and freeze any you won’t get to in small batches. It thaws perfectly and is just as good thawed as fresh!
“I live in Australia and haven’t been able to find Cranberries in any form. I made this recipe using rhubarb instead of cranberries and it tasted pretty good. The rhubarb I had was stewed so I omitted the cup of water but if it hadn’t been I would have left it in still. The rhubarb was unsweetened of course so the sugar I added was the only sugar.”
- Tomato-Free Low Amine Marinara Sauce (Beet & Sweet Potato) (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-Amine No-Tomato Marinara (apple & onion based marinara) (aminerecipes.wordpress.com)
- Soy Sauce Substitute (Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, and Low-Amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- Chicken Strips (gluten-free, soy-free, low-amine)
- Baked French Fries (low-amine, gluten-free, vegan)
- Savory Roasted Squash (low-amine, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, tomato-free, paleo, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Fennel Leek Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo, vegetarian, vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Curry Cumin Pot Roast (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, tomato-free, nightshade-free, low-carb, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-amine, Gluten-free Chinese Scallion Pancakes with Dipping Sauce (aminerecipes.com)
- Tofu Bites (low-amine, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo, tomato-free, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Tsatsiki / Tzatziki (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-carb, low-fat, paleo, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Yogurt-Marinated Chicken (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, low-fat, low-carb) (aminerecipes.com)