For New Year’s Eve, I had the challenge of making an appetizer that was soy-free, gluten-free, low-amine, tomato-free, beef-free, and aged cow cheese-free. It took some serious working around, but I came up with a recipe that was an absolute hit. It took all the best parts of a gourmet burger and dropped them into a meatball appetizer. Just lovely!
Makes 24 meatballs
2 lb ground turkey
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 bulb garlic, finely chopped
4 Tbsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp salt (or salt substitute)
1 tsp black pepper
1 C gluten-free, soy-free breadcrumbs
2 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp butter (to grease pan)
3/4 C cream cheese
3/4 C onion, finely chopped and caramelized
2 Tbsp butter (to caramelize onion)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small pan, saute stuffing mix onions with butter until caramelized. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, add onions to cream cheese and mix well.
- Grease large cookie sheet (use one that has tall edges) with butter.
- Mix all turkey meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Knead together well, but do not overmix.
- Using a little less than 1/4 C meatball material, flatten out in palm of hand into a “meatball pancake.”
- Add small scoop (about 1 tsp) cream cheese mix in the middle, and fold the “meatball pancake” around it, shaping it into a round ball. Arrange on cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all meatballs are stuffed.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and remove from oven to glaze with low-amine BBQ sauce. Don’t worry if some of the cream cheese has escaped.
- Return to oven for another 10 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
- Add another coat of low-amine BBQ sauce.
- Serve hot.
Very Low Amine: onion, garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, oregano,
Low Amine: turkey, breadcrumbs, butter, cream cheese, Low-Amine BBQ Sauce Substitute
Moderate Amine: egg
- Leek and Sweet Potato Frittata (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- BBQ Sauce (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- BBQ Beef Sandwich with Banh Mi Vegetables (low-amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- Stuffed Cabbage with Garlic Sauce (gluten-free, soy-free, low-amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine “Stuffed Jalapenos” Substitute (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine Chicken Strips (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tomato-Free Ketchup (No Tomato, Low-Amine, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
Featured on: Cybele Pascal’s Allergen Free Cuisine