I made three kinds of low-amine pickles last week. All are made with low-amine ingredients (carrot, cucumber, and radish), and prepared in a low-amine method. The vegetables had to salt in the fridge overnight, but that’s about the most ageing these low-amine pickles did.
6 medium carrots
4 large pickling cucumbers (or one narrow English cucumber)
1 bunch radishes
1/4 C salt
1 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid
1 Tbsp soy sauce substitute
1 Tbsp sesame oil substitute
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 green onion, green parts only
- Wash and cut all vegetables and keep separate. You can do yours however you’d like, but I sliced the cucumbers and radishes thinly, and julienned the carrots. Remember to keep them thin.
- Salt liberally and rub salt into vegetables.
- Let sit in salt overnight. Give them the occasional rubbing/mixing, and drain off excess liquids that have collected, if you can.
- Rinse off vegetables very well. I rinse them at least three times each and give the vegetables a firm massage and squeezing out, to remove as much salt and water as possible. Continue repeating this until they are slightly salty, but not unpalatable.
- Coat vegetables in about 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid each, or to taste. It should have a “pickled” taste, but not be too tart.
- Add sugar, soy sauce substitute and sesame oil substitute to the carrots and mix together very well, until sugar dissolves completely.
- Slice one green stem of green onion into very thin rings and set aside.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne to radishes. Mix well, and add green onion slices in. Toss together.
- Present together on a dish, or separately. Chill until used. They will keep for a few days in the fridge.
Very Low Amine: carrot, cucumber, radish, salt, ascorbic acid, garlic powder, onion powder, green onion
Very High Amine: cayenne powder
- Peach and Pear Phyllo Pockets (low-amine, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Vietnamese Pickled Carrots & Daikon for Bun or Banh Mi (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-Amine Teriyaki Tofu Cabbage Wraps (aminerecipes.com)
- Carrot Ginger Dressing (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Chuka Soba (aminerecipes.com)
- Vietnamese Beef Vermicelli Noodle Bowl (Bun) (aminerecipes.com)
- Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese sauce for Vermicelli Bowls (bun)) (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Kinpira (Burdock Root & Carrot) (gluten-free, soy-free, low-amine, vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tsatsiki / Tzatziki (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-carb, low-fat, paleo, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Amine Intolerance, Tyramines, and Histamines (aminerecipes.com)
- Straying from a low amine diet (aminerecipes.com)