Chicken drumsticks always seem to come in the same flavors. Teriyaki. Sweet and Sour. Honey mustard. Barbecue. I thought I’d do something a little different, and pull it into the slightly fruity, savory flavors by using ginger, pear, and sage.
12 chicken drumsticks
2 tsp sage
4 Tbsp ginger, coarsely chopped
1 ripe pear
1 Tbsp safflower oil
1/4 C water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with the rack in the middle.
- Pull skin off drumsticks. Discard skin.
- Cut deep scores (4-6 on each side of each drumstick) into the fleshiest parts of both sides of the drumsticks to allow marinate to permeate throughout.
- In a food processor, puree pear, ginger, oil, water, and sage.
- In a large Ziplock bag, combine puree and chicken drumsticks. Get as much air out as possible and seal bag. Ensure all drumsticks are well coated and set aside to marinate for 20 – 40 minutes.
- On a cookie sheet (preferably with a rack on it to allow fats to drip away), arrange chicken.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
Very Low Amine: water, sage, pear, ginger
Low Amine: chicken, safflower oil