Low-Amine Spinach Artichoke Dip Substitute
I really miss spinach artichoke gruyere dip. But it’s all stuff I can’t have because artichoke is high in amines, spinach is high amine, and gruyere cheese? Yep, also high amine. I did some experimentation, and found a low amine spinach artichoke dip substitute that put a happy dance in my feet. It’s creamy, gooey, and the addition of bok choy gives it enough body and texture to give it a mouth-feel that is similar to spinach artichoke dip.
5 C sunchokes, washed and well chopped (peel if you do not have a blender or food processor)
5 large baby bok choy
1 lb (2 C shredded) Mozzarella cheese (you can also use half Feta cheese, if desired)
2 1/2 tsp black truffle oil
1 C cream cheese or neufchatel (one block)
1 Tbsp basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 Tbsp oil (for cooking with)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and chop sunchokes (peel if you have no blender or food processor). Boil for 15-20 minutes, or until thoroughly soft.
- Wash bok choy and separate leaves (discard stems). Cut green parts off and set aside. Toss half of the white parts of bok choy (reserve the other half for a different recipe – they won’t be used here) in a dash of oil and spread into an aluminum foil lined Pyrex pan. Bake for 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
Low-Amine Fake Spinach Artichoke Dip: bok choy, greens and whites
- Chop green parts of bok choy leaves into slivers, and gently stir-fry them on a medium stove with a small amount of oil.
Low-Amine Spinach Artichoke Dip Substitute: bok choy greens, cooked
- Shred Mozzarella, and add (reserve 1/4 C Mozzarella to sprinkle over the top) to a large bowl with truffle oil, cream cheese, basil, black pepper, garlic, salt, cayenne, and bok choy greens.
- Once cooked, puree the sunchokes in a food processor (or mash, if peeled), and add to the cheese mix.
- When the bok choy is cooked, reduce temperature to 425 degrees. Chop bok choy whites into very small bits. Mix in with cheese blend and mix well.
- Pour mix into a pie pan and sprinkle remaining Mozzarella over the top.
Low-Amine Spinach Artichoke Dip Substitute: Just before baking
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve warm with crostini, crackers, or pita.
Very Low Amine: sunchokes, bok choy, basil,black pepper, garlic, salt
Low Amine: Mozzarella, Feta, safflower oil, cream cheese
Very High Amine: truffle oil, cayenne
47.606209 -122.332071Published in:
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: /2011/11/16/artichoke-spinach-dip-substitute/trackback/
RSS feed for comments on this post.