I’ve never been big on sweet things, so I was surprised when I had a sudden craving for something sugary. Given, my version of “sweet” is probably barely on the edge of sweet for most people. As carrots have an earthy sweetness to them, I added minimal sugar and helped enhance the flavor with vanilla.
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp butter (or butter substitute for dairy-free or vegan)
12 medium carrots
1/2 C water
- Wash and cut carrots lengthwise, and then in half again to shorten them.
- Heat butter, sugar, and vanilla in large pan on medium. Be careful to dissolve sugar in evenly – don’t burn it!
- When fully dissolved, add water and carrots.
- Cook on medium high for 5 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid, and cook for 5 minutes on medium, uncovered. Stir often to prevent burning. The liquids should reduce into a light syrup glaze.
- Serve with a spoonful of the glaze poured over the top.