I find okra to be the best when it’s raw or just barely cooked. To get the best color out of okra, I like to blanch the okra for just one minute. Any more than that, and they start to produce a mucilaginous slime. Okra makes a very nice low amine side dish that’s high in nutrients, vitamins, and earthy flavor.
Blanched low amine okra with “red wine vinegar.” Served with muffin baked potatoes and herb cream cheese, and a slice of my no-tomato low-amine lasagna.
20 pieces okra
1 Tbsp blueberry juice
1 Tbsp apple juice (or pomegranate juice)
1 tsp vodka
3/4 tsp ascorbic acid
2 Tbsp safflower oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp loosely packed brown sugar
1 tsp lemon thyme
1 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
salt, to taste
- Except for the okra, mix all ingredients together in a bowl large enough to toss the okra.
- Gently wash okra in cold water.
- Using a deep, large frying pan, fill it with enough water in it to allow all okra to float at the surface. Bring to a boil.
- Add okra. Boil for about one minutes, or until okra starts to take on a brighter green hue.
- Immediately pull off heat and drain in a colander. Run cold water over it until they have cooled completely. This helps prevent the okra from getting slimy.
- Transfer okra to bowl with sauce and toss together gently.
Very Low Amine: okra, ascorbic acid, safflower oil, oregano, lemon thyme, garlic, black pepper, salt
Low Amine: vodka, apple juice, pomegranate juice, sugar, brown sugar
High Amine: blueberry juice (low in tyramines, high in histamines)
- Crisp Baked Truffle Okra with Feta (aminerecipes.com)
- Greek “Lemon” Roasted Potatoes (aminerecipes.com)
- Lemon-Thyme Delicatta Squash (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, low-fat, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked Breaded Rosemary Lemon Chicken (aminerecipes.com)
- Pumpkin Apple Dressing (aminerecipes.com)
- All About Okra (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)
- Balsamic Blackened Cod (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Hot & Sour Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free) (aminerecipes.com)