Low amine bean and greens soup
I was feeling under the weather, and needed some hearty soup to help clear the evil out of my body, so decided to throw together a low amine soup.
7 C homemade vegetable broth
1 C water
1 C chopped flat leaf parsley, stems included
1 bunch bok choy, chopped (or half a small head napa cabbage)
1 C mixed dried beans
1 medium sweet potato
2 small Russet potatoes, peeled
Juice of 1/2 lime (omit and add a little more ascorbic acid, for lower amine)
4 Tbsp minced ginger
2 Tbsp minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
5 Tbsp minced shallot (about 1 1/2 shallots)
4 Tbsp safflower oil
1/2 C fresh, organic apple juice (optional)
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp rosemary
1 large bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
Frozen broth and mixed beans
- In a medium sized stock pot, bring pre-made vegetable (or other stock) broth to a boil, add beans, and reduce to low simmer.
- Add parsley, cumin, turmeric, bay leaf, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cover.
- Heat a separate sauce pan to medium high. Add oil and minced garlic, ginger, and shallot. Stir often and cook for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant and garlic has started to brown.
Cooking shallot, ginger, and garlic
- Add cooked spices to stock pot. Simmer for an hour or until beans are done.
- Add bok choy / napa cabbage, lime / ascorbic acid, and water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low (just barely simmering).
- Chop sweet potato and Russet potatoes into small, bite sized pieces. Add to the pot.
- Add apple juice.
- Cook for additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Low amine bean and greens soup is done when the largest beans in the soup are cooked through.
AMINE BREAKDOWN:Very Low Amine: broth (assuming homemade and from acceptable low amine vegetable scraps), water, parsley, beans, sweet potato, ginger, garlic, shallot, apple juice, cumin, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, pepper, bok choy, napa cabbage, ascorbic acidLow Amine: turmeric, peeled potato, safflower oilHigh Amine: lime juice
- Chestnut Soup (aminerecipes.com)
- Turkey Soup (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine Soup with Beef, Rice, and Vegetables (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine Sinigang (Filipino Tamarind Soup) (aminerecipes.com)
- Cajun Burgers with Caramelized Onions (aminerecipes.com)
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Fennel Leek Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-carb, paleo, vegetarian, vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tennessee White Chili (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Curry Cumin Pot Roast (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, tomato-free, nightshade-free, low-carb, paleo) (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-Amine Teriyaki Tofu Cabbage Wraps (aminerecipes.com)
- Garlic Green Beans (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, paleo, tomato-free, low-fat, low-carb, vegan, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Quick Get-Well Soup (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, nightshade-free) (aminerecipes.com)
- Pumpkin Apple Dressing (aminerecipes.com)
- Baked Low-Amine BBQ Chicken Breasts (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, tomato-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-carb) (aminerecipes.com)
47.606209 -122.332071About these adsPublished in:
- Gluten-Free Low Amine Recipes
- Soy-Free Low Amine Recipes
- Vegan Low Amine Recipes
- Vegetarian Low Amine Recipes
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: /2011/09/14/low-amine-bean-and-greens-soup/trackback/
RSS feed for comments on this post.