Cream cheese stuffed jalapeno substitute with zucchini
I love stuffed jalapenos. But they’re quite off limits, since jalapenos are peppers, and peppers are very high in amines. To remedy this lack of stuffed jalapenos in my life, I decided to make a low amine stuffed jalapeno that is made with zucchini instead, carved like little boats. I try to get smaller zucchini so that I can cut them in half lengthwise and then in half again, and carefully use a spoon (a grapefruit spoon is perfect for this) to dig out a trench in the zucchini. To add the kick that I’d be missing, I utilize a much hotter pepper, but in a smaller quantity, giving these cream cheese stuffed zucchini appetizers a kick like their original jalapeno predecessors. For vegans, you can also substitute the cream cheese with Tofutti. It works just as well.
This recipe was for a large party, and makes 48 stuffed zucchini snacks. Scale down if for a smaller party/dinner.
2 C cream cheese (or Tofutti)
4 tsp cumin
2/3 C onion, minced (I pulse mine in a food processor)
1/2 C cilantro, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 habanero (or 1/2 Thai bird chili, for a milder flavor), seeded and minced very finely. Be sure to wear gloves when handling habanero peppers.
12 small zucchini
Pick zucchini that are small. 6″ or under.
- Mix everything but the zucchini together in a large mixing bowl.
- The cream cheese mixture is better if you can leave it in the fridge overnight, so make the cream cheese mix the night before if possible. If not, that’s okay, it will just be 10% less awesome.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise and then in half again, and carefully use a spoon (a grapefruit spoon is perfect for this) to dig out a trench in the zucchini.
Cream cheese stuffed jalapeno substitute done by carving out a zucchini trench.
- Fill trenches with a heaping scoop of cream cheese mixture.
- Arrange cream cheese stuffed zucchinis on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cream cheese is well browned on the top.
- Serve hot.
AMINE BREAKDOWN:Very Low Amine: cumin, onion, cilantro, salt, black pepper, zucchiniLow Amine: cream cheese (or Tofutti)Very High Amine: habanero, Thai bird chilie
- Low Amine Pesto (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine (Tomato Free) Zucchini Lasagna (aminerecipes.com)
- I Love Spicy Everything (aminerecipes.com)
- Muffin Tin Mashed Potatoes with Herb Cream Cheese (aminerecipes.com)
- Spaghetti Squash with Low-Amine Pesto (aminerecipes.com)
- Low-Amine Artichoke Spinach Dip Substitute (Sunchoke & Bok Choy) (aminerecipes.com)
- Shredded Beef with Cumin and Cilantro (aminerecipes.com)
- Layered Frittata (low-amine, gluten-free, dairy-free, yolk-free, nut-free, paleo, low-fat, low-carb, tomato-free) (aminerecipes.com)
47.606209 -122.332071Published in:
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: /2011/11/27/stuffed-zucchini/trackback/
RSS feed for comments on this post.