Tsatsiki / Tzatziki (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, low-carb, low-fat, paleo, vegan, vegetarian)
Tsatsiki / Tzatziki made with Cashews (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, tomato-free, paleo, low-carb, vegetarian, vegan).
Tsatsiki is a wonderful sauce to serve with many dishes. I like it with vegetables, or with lamb or chicken. Below are two variations on tzatziki recipes. You can use either mint or dill, depending on your preference in flavors, and vary the amount of cucumber you want to use, depending on your own personal preferences. One recipe is low-amine and dairy-free, and the other is vegan (nut-based).
Grated Cucumber for Tzatziki. It’s better with larger shreds, but I don’t have a less-fine grater.
YOGURT-BASED TSATSIKI (nut-free)1 C plain yogurt1/4 C English cucumber, grated1 1/2 tsp mint or dill1/4 tsp salt4-6 medium cloves garlic, pressedAscorbic acid, to taste
- Squeeze water out of cucumber.
- Mix together all ingredients and let flavors mingle for a bit. Serve cold.
NUT-BASED TSATSIKI (dairy-free)3/4 C raw cashews1/2 C water1/4 C English cucumber, grated1 1/2 tsp mint or dill1/4 tsp salt4-6 medium cloves garlic, pressed1 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid
- Soak cashews in warm water. Let sit for at least two hours.
- Drain cashews, and blend them in a food processor with garlic.
- Add a little bit of water at a time, stopping to scrape down sides. Process until very smooth and all the water has been added (it should reach the consistency of a slightly thin yogurt – if it has reached this point without adding all the water, stop adding water).
- Squeeze liquid out of cucumber.
- Add cucumber, dill/mint, salt, and ascorbic acid. Mix well.
- Chill in the fridge for at least a half hour.
AMINE BREAKDOWN:Very Low Amine: cucumber, mint, dill, salt, garlic, ascorbic acid, waterLow Amine: yogurt, cashews
47.606209 -122.332071Published in:
- Gluten-Free Low Amine Recipes
- Low Amine Sauces
- Soy-Free Low Amine Recipes
- Vegan Low Amine Recipes
- Vegetarian Low Amine Recipes
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: /2012/03/05/tsatsiki/trackback/
RSS feed for comments on this post.