Reduced-carb fried rice (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, low-carb, vegetarian)
I love fried rice. But I’ve been trying to keep my carb count down at a reasonable level. That takes eating a low-amine food that’s made up almost completely out of rice “off the table,” or so to speak. But what if I were to take fried rice and flip the proportions? For this low-amine, reduced-carb fried rice, it’s been turned on its head, with 80% vegetables, and 20% rice. Wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t even miss the rest of the rice!
2 C cooked rice
1 Tbsp safflower oil
1 tsp butter
1/2 onion, diced
5 Brussels sprouts, cut into four or five slices each
2 small carrots, chopped small
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 lb green beans, washed, stems trimmed off, and chopped
10 cloves garlic, chopped small
3 Tbsp soy sauce substitute
Salt, to taste
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (reserve a few sprigs for garnish, if desired)
8 eggs, beaten (I use half egg whites, and half whole eggs)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp butter (butter substitute for dairy-free)
- Prep all vegetables.
- Beat eggs with salt, and heat up a medium non-stick pan to medium high.
- Melt 1 tsp butter in pan, and pour eggs in. Using a flexible spatula, scrape eggs off the bottom every 5-10 seconds to create a moist batch of scrambled eggs. While eggs are cooking, heat a large non-stick pan to medium-high and melt butter.
- As moisture starts cooking off, reduce heat to medium low. When eggs are done, scoop them into a bowl and set aside.
Note: You can also add other low-amine foods or proteins, but I chose eggs because they hold their shape well and add a nice texture.
- Start with onions. Once they start to sweat, add Brussels sprouts, carrots, and garlic. Stir often so the vegetables cook evenly.
Reduced-carb fried rice ingredients, cooking.
- After about two minutes, add chopped green beans and celery. Cook until vegetables are nearly done, then add cilantro.
- Heat the egg pan back to high and add the oil and rice. Break it apart as much as possible, and stir only often enough to prevent burning – you want to get a slight crisp to the rice. Cook for about four minutes, or until a good portion of the rice has a bit of golden brown coloring.
- Chop eggs into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, add vegetables, rice, eggs, soy sauce substitute, and salt. Mix together gently until all ingredients are evenly mixed and seasoned.
Mixing together the reduced-carb fried rice.
- Serve, garnished with a sprig of cilantro.
Very Low Amine: rice, onion, Brussels sprouts, carrot, celery, green beans, garlic, salt, cilantro
Moderate Amein: egg
- Basic Stir Fry (soy-free, gluten-free, low-amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- Simple Quinoa Salad (gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, low-amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- Leek and Sweet Potato Frittata (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, vegetarian) (aminerecipes.com)
- Stuffed Cabbage with Garlic Sauce (gluten-free, soy-free, low-amine) (aminerecipes.com)
- Tomato-Free Ketchup (No Tomato, Low-Amine, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan) (aminerecipes.com)
- Low Amine Chicken Strips (low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free) (aminerecipes.com)